Thursday, March 28, 2019

Spring 2019 Running Club with Mr. Holtz


To: DPS Families
From: J. Holtz
Re: Spring Running Club
Date: March 25, 2019

Beginning on Monday, April 15 I will be hosting Running Club for the spring season.  If you are interested in having your child participate, details are as follows.
Sessions will be every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (rain or shine) from 7:50-9:00.  Days when it is raining, Running Club will take place in the gym.  It’ll be crowded but, I’ve done it before.  Running Club will be open to ALL students at DPS.  That includes kindergarten.  HOWEVER, it is very important that parents/guardians realize that your child (or children) need to want to run.  They will be doing a minimum of 1 mile at each workout.  If your child hates running, maybe this isn’t the place for them to be. 
Also, in the past when I have hosted Running Club, I would average 110 students per session.  It’s a lot.  I want to give all of the kids the opportunity but there is a caveat to having a number that high.   If this many children show up, it is important that they are there to run and not play nonsense.  If they behave inappropriately, I will talk to them and if it continues, I will discuss with you the potential of a suspension.  Hopefully that doesn’t happen because the children here are all perfect angels but, in case it does, I just want to be up front with you about it.
Runners should bring the following items:  Dry shoes and socks (Their sneakers and socks will get destroyed in the mud and wet grass.), a water bottle, a snack and a pair of lightweight gloves for the cold mornings. 
Running Club does not cost anything nor do I need you to sign up.  Just show up.  The bus bay doors will be open from 7:50-8:05.  At 8:05, I will close them and they will be locked.  Once they are closed, I gather the kids together in the gym, outline the morning workouts and then out we go.  Once I am gathering the kids, I will not be stopping to let people in that show up late.  I know it sounds mean but, when there are 50+ kids in the gym (sometimes 100), it is my job to focus on them and not the 2 or 3 children that are coming in late.  I give people a 15 minute window to arrive.  It worked great for the 10 years that I did this so, no plans to change it.
If you have any questions, please e-mail me.  If you call, I will never get it but, I always receive e-mail and always return e-mail that same day.  Thanks for your time, let me know of any questions and see you on April 15 at 7:50!

No comments:

Post a Comment